The regular season may be over for the Crimson Tide, but training continues. Recruitment for the Class of 2023 is also continuing ahead of the Early Signing Period (ESP) on December 21st.
Alabama had some high profile visitors for Iron Bowl. Only one non-binding prospect was on an official visit (OV), but he seems to be a tough Bama-Lean.
IRON BOWL OFFICIAL VISITORS
- 4 star WR Jaren Hamilton (Gainesville, FL) #280 overall – Bama is his only planned OV so far and they are the big favorite. He has also shown interest in Michigan and Tennessee. He runs on the track and has beaten the official times of 10:91, 11:00 and 11:17 in the 100 meter dash. Hamilton has also played some defense and is retiring for his high school team.
- 3-star PK Conor Talty (Chicago, IL) committed to the tide in July. He was 17th of 21 in field goals this season with 51 yards. He hit all 36 of his PAT attempts and had one too 52-yard touchdown run on a fake punt.
- 5-STAR EDGE Keon Keeley (Tampa, FL) #7 was back in Tuscaloosa in an unofficial capacity for the Iron Bowl weekend. His last trip to T-Town was for an official visit during Texas A&M weekend in October. It is said that he really connects with the Bama commits. To be honest, I’m surprised this former Notre Dame conscript hasn’t pulled the trigger and committed to the Tide yet.
- 5 stars DL JamesSmith #15 and LB Qua Russaw #31, both from Carver High School in Montgomery, were also back in town for IB. But the big news is that both plan to have their OVs on December 9-11. Needless to say, this is a huge visit so close to ESP. When a game isn’t on, Tide staff can give special attention to prospects and their families. The duo did an OV to Florida and Georgia months ago.
- 4 star LB Arion Carter (Smyrna, TN) #318 – A few months ago, this guy was a lesser-known 3-star conscript in Memphis. That was until Nick Saban took a close look at his game and made him a scholarship offer. Carter has been “rediscovered” and re-evaluated as a 4-star program and has been offered by top programs across the country – Ohio State, Southern Cal, LSU, Tennessee, Oregon, Florida, etc. He recently retired from Memphis and received an OV made to Ohio State (Nov. 12) and plans to see Tennessee on Dec. 2. He, too, will be OV Alabama on December 9th.
- 4-star DL Beet Bain (Miami, FL) #89 OV was in Alabama over the summer and was back on his own this weekend. It’s hard to read about this guy, but the tide might make him wait.
- 4-star TE Lawson Luckie (Norcross, GA) #199 – This prospect made an initial investment in Georgia in January but then acquired UGA and Alabama from OV in June. There is some gossip surrounding him as this weekend marked his second unofficial trip to T-Town following an October 8th visit. He wasn’t back in Athens, GA that anyone in the crootin world reported. His father, Mike Luckie, played alongside his two triplets at UGA in the 1990s. However, he does not push his son in one direction or another.
- 4-star DL KelbyCollins (Gardendale, AL) #74 – It was weird that he made his promise to Florida in June, and even weirder that he keeps showing up on UA campus without arranging an OV. It could very well be that the Bama staff backed away from him after he said “yes, I do” to the alligators.
- 4-star CB CJ blockers (New Caney, TX) #419 – Recently released from Utah, this guy has been a hot topic in crootin circles. He may be in for a re-evaluation. After being in town last weekend, he will be OV Southern Cal and TCU in December. He hasn’t arranged anything with Bama yet.
- 4-star CB Damari Brown (Fort Lauderdale, FL) #181 – A recent unofficial visitor was this corner of Patrick Surtain II’s High School, American Heritage. He did the capstone OV back in the summer and appears to be in Bama and Miami.
Alabama has 23 commits and will look to add more, maybe up to 30 if things go well. The Crimson Tide have the No. rank class.