A Mason County, West Virginia woman has been sentenced to a year in prison for involvement in a murder

MASON COUNTY, WV (WOWK) — A Mason County woman was sentenced to one year in prison for her role in the murder of Paul Yester Metheny, whose body was found on Oct. 28, 2021, according to the Mason County Attorney.

According to the Mason County Attorney’s Office, 30-year-old Mason County resident Rachel Lee Thomas was in the Mason County District Court for her conviction of an adjunct accessory to murder.

According to prosecutors, Thomas was sentenced to a maximum of one year in prison.

According to the criminal complaint, Rachel Lee Thomas, her boyfriend Anthony Yester and two others were at a location on Ripley Road in Leon, West Virginia, when the alleged murder occurred.

A complaint states that murder victim Paul Matheny knocked on the residence’s door and Thomas answered. Matheny and Thomas reportedly started arguing, and Thomas told Matheny to leave. Thomas then allegedly pulled a gun from her waistband and again told Matheny to leave.

Yester then allegedly came to the door, grabbed a pistol, pointed it at the door and fired two shots into the residence. Matheny ran off the porch and Thomas, Yester and the other man in the house allegedly followed him.

A woman who was also in the house ran into the kitchen to be safe when she heard two more shots outside.

A few minutes later, the complaint said Thomas and Yester went back into the house and argued. According to the woman’s statement to investigators, Thomas told Yester, “I can’t believe you killed him. Why didn’t you just beat him up? I think I have to take the blame for that.” The pair then reportedly began donning rubber gloves and cleaning their firearms with bleach.

The friend tried to leave, but Thomas reportedly told her she was “not going anywhere because one could easily become two.” The woman told Thomas she could use her phone to call 911, and Thomas allegedly took the phone and asked for the passcode. She explained that she did what was asked of her because she was afraid of being killed.

Thomas had Mrs. Glas clean up from the crime scene. During the cleanup, the complaint saw a man lying on the floor nearby while the other man stood over the body inside the house.

After the woman cleaned the glass, Thomas reportedly told her to sit on the couch. She said that Thomas and Yester argued for several hours while handling rubber gloves, garbage bags and bleach. Eventually, Yester left the apartment and, according to statements, did not return until 4 a.m.

Shortly after Yester returned, Thomas allegedly took the woman home and gave her back her phone. She found that everything on her phone had been reset and she couldn’t use it.

Earlier this month a jury convicted Anthony Ray Yester of first degree manslaughter and concealing a body. Yester is charged in the death of Metheny. A judgment date for Yester has not been set.