ODU opened the 2022 season with a stunning upset win over Virginia Tech, struggled against UVA with a narrow loss in Charlottesville, dominated Coastal Carolina for the last game currently 9-1 in the season.
But the Monarchs haven’t won since beating the Chanticleers on Oct. 15 and losing five in a row, and on Saturday they will wrap up what has been described as a disappointing campaign on the streets of South Alabama.
- Linebacker Jason Henderson leads the country with 168 tackles and has a 35-tack lead over No. 2 tackler Jackson Mitchell of UConn, who has 133. Henderson has broken the ODU and Sun Belt Conference single-season record for tackles.
- Redshirt junior running back Blake Watson had 10 carries for 69 yards at App State, the most yards by Watson since he rushed for 65 yards at Georgia State. Watson hit a career-high seven passes for 73 yards at the App State. For the season, Watson has 139 attempts for 803 yards and five touchdowns. Watson also has 31 receptions for 226 yards and a touchdown.
- Offensive lineman Nick Saldiverihas accepted an invitation to play at Reese’s Senior Bowl. Saldiveri becomes the third Monarch and first offensive lineman to compete in the Senior Bowl. The Senior Bowl will be played on February 4, 2023 at Hancock Whitney Stadium in South Alabama in Mobile. The game will be broadcast on the NFL Network.
Notes from South Alabama
- Carter Bradley threw two touchdowns in the fourth quarter to help South Alabama rebound and earn a 27-20 Sun Belt Conference road win at Southern Miss on Saturday. The Jags (9-2, 6-1 SBC) trailed 17-14 going into the final period but rebounded and held off Southern Miss (5-6, 3-4 SBC) when Devin Voisin held on On recovered -side kick with 10 seconds to play to seal the win.
- With the win, South Alabama remains tied with one game remaining in the regular season in SBC West Division standings. The six conference wins also set a new record for the program, eclipsing the 2014 squad that won 5-3 in league play
- Bradley threw for 238 yards when he connected on 15 of his 22 passing attempts to follow up on his three touchdown passes. Vosin was the leading receiver for South as he had six receptions for 97 yards and a touchdown.
- Freshman running back Braylon McReynolds had a career night when he rushed for 189 all-purpose yards, including his first 100-yard game (100), three receptions for 66 yards and 23 kickoff return yards.