DAYTONA BEACH, FL — Penn State women’s basketball got off to its best start in 26 years as the Lady Lions advanced to a 7-0 aggregate win with a 68-0 win over Fresno State (4-3) on Saturday afternoon at the Ocean Center at the Daytona Beach Invitational . The Lady Lions forced a season-high 34 turnovers and a season-high 22 steals against the Bulldogs.
Fresno State opened the game hot from downtown, making four threes in the first five minutes. But Penn State came back and fired, forcing six turnovers and conceding them for seven points while running an 11-0 run for an 18-14 lead in the last five minutes of the third.
The Lady Lions continued to press and beat the Bulldogs 19-9 in the second quarter alone. Back-to-back steals Ali Campbell turned into points for Taniyah Thompson, who started the half-time with their own 6:0 run. Penn State continued to wreak havoc for Fresno State, forcing 10 turnovers that earned 11 points.
five seconds before the break, Makenna Marisa navigated around a trio of bulldogs to eat Leilani Kapinus whose layup on the Summer gave the Lady Lions a 37-23 lead at halftime.
In the third quarter, both sides scored 14 points each, keeping Penn State ahead. The Lady Lions kept their footing and took the biggest lead in the final period with 27 points while inflicting 18 Bulldog turnovers.
- The 1996-97 team also started 7-0.
- The seven straight wins are the longest since an 11-game stream from December 9, 2012 to January 1. 27th, 2013.
Penn State forced a season-high 34 Bulldog turnovers and conceded them for 32 points. Previously, the most engaged Fresno State was on Nov. 15, 21 against UC Riverside.
- The Lady Lions’ bench earned 43 points.
- This is the second game this season in which Penn State has scored more than 50 points in the color (Bryant, 58).
- Penn State finished with the advantages in fast break (18-0) and second chance points (16-8) and finished with 21 assists for 12 turnovers.
- Campbell grabbed a career-high six steals, and Kapinus matched her with six steals.
- Alex Williamson led all scorers with 15 points.
- The Lady Lions held Fresno State’s top scorer Yanina Todorova (14.4) to just eight points.
Penn State hosts Virginia for the ACC/Big Ten Challenge on Wednesday, November 30th. Tipoff is scheduled for 7 p.m. at the Bryce Jordan Center.