CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA. – No. 3 Virginia (5-0) travels to Michigan (5-1) for an ACC/Big Ten Challenge competition on Tuesday, November 29th. Tipoff at the Crisler Center is scheduled for 9:30 p.m. on ESPN.
• UVA are 7-0 up 5-0 for the first time since 2019/20.
• The Cavaliers meet the Wolverines for the second time in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge and for the first time in Ann Arbor.
• UVA ranks second nationally in free throw attempts per game (20.6), third in free throw attempts per game (28), fifth in 3-point percentage (44.8%), ninth in assist/turnover ratio (1.74), 12th in effective power FG percentage (58.6%) and 14th in revenue per game (10.0).
• The Virginia-Michigan game will be televised on ESPN and streamed online at WatchESPN.com.
• The game will also be broadcast on Virginia Sports Radio Network, VirginiaSports.com and the Virginia Sports App.
• Live stats will be available on VirginiaSports.com and the Virginia Sports App.
The head coach
• Tony Bennett, head basketball coach for the Dean and Markel Families, has a 321-117 (.733) mark in 14 seasons with UVA and a career mark of 390-150 (.722) in 17 seasons as head coach.
• Bennett needs six wins to overtake Terry Holland (326-173, 16 seasons) as UVA’s all-time leading manager.
• Bennett needs 10 wins to reach 400 career wins.
• Bennett has led the Cavaliers to five ACC regular-season titles (2014, 2015, 2018, 2019 and 2021), two ACC tournament titles (2014 and 2018) and one NCAA national championship (2019).
• The three-time national coach (2007, 2015 and 2018) and four-time ACC Coach of the Year (2014, 2015, 2018 and 2019) led UVA 2021-22 for the tenth consecutive postseason.
UVA ranked #3 in the latest AP poll
• UVA ranks #3 in the most recent AP national survey.
• Ranking #3 is the highest UVA since 2018-19.
• UVA returned to the top five last week for the first time since fourth in the 2020-21 pre-season rankings.
• The Cavaliers’ last regular-season top-five finish was December 2, 2019.
• The Cavaliers finished 18th in the AP Preseason Poll.
• UVA has been in the AP preseason top-25 for the fifth straight year and has been ninth in the last 10 seasons under Tony Bennett.
About the Cavaliers
• UVA brings back all five starters from last season’s team that finished 21-14, 12-8 in the ACC (sixth) and advanced to the NIT Quarterfinals.
• We play defensively, make quality shots, pass the basketball, limit turnovers and transition points, rebound and play more defensively.
The Cavaliers are returning 91.4 percent of their goals from last season, the most of any NCAA Division I team (Portland 91.1%, Dayton 89.4%, and Penn 88.5%).
• Returning starters Kihei Clark (8.2 ppg, 5.2 apg), Reece Beekman (10.6 ppg, 5.2 apg), Jayden Gardner (11.4 ppg, 5.0 rpg), Kadin Shedrick (11 .2 ppg, 5.2 rpg, 2.0 spg) and Armaan Franklin (13.8 ppg, 42.3% 3FG) lead the Cavaliers.
• Transfer Ben Vander Plas (8.2 ppg, 5.2 rpg), newcomers Isaac McKneely (5.4 ppg, 50% 3FG) and Ryan Dunn (4.0 ppg, 1.8 rpg), Francisco Caffaro (4 .0 ppg, 2.5 rpg) and Taine Murray (2.7 ppg). ) give depth.
• Isaac Traudt and Leon Bond III wear red shirts this season.
All time against Michigan
• Virginia is 2-2 all-time against Michigan, including a 1-0 mark in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge.
• The Cavaliers meet the Wolverines for the first time in 12 years as UVA recorded a 70-58 win over Michigan at the 2011 Challenge in Charlottesville.
• UVA meets Michigan for the first time in Ann Arbor.
• The Wolverines are 2-0 in neutral competitions against the Cavaliers, including a 66-52 win in Pittsburgh in the inaugural event on December 28, 1951.
• Michigan defeated Virginia 102-65 in the 1989 NCAA Regional Finals en route to the national championship.
• UVA defeated Michigan 79-68 en route to the championship in the 1980 NIT Quarterfinals.
All-time in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge
• UVA has a 13-8 record in the Challenge.
• UVA dropped a 75-74 decision against Iowa in last year’s Challenge.
• The Cavaliers have won eight of their last 11 Challenge games.
• UVA are 6-5 away in this event, including a 5-1 mark in their last six away games of the event.
• Virginia’s 2020 Challenge contest against Michigan State has been postponed due to COVID-19 issues in the Cavaliers program.
• UVA averages 78 points per game, the highest in the Tony Bennett era.
• UVA have scored 70 or more points in their first five games for the first time since 2007/08.
• UVA is 149-11 when scoring 70 or more under Bennett.
• The Cavaliers shoot 49.8 percent from the field, with 44.8 from 3-point range and 73.6 from the charity streak.
• UVA shot 44.9 percent from the field last season, with 32.3 percent from 3-pointers.
last time out
• Jayden Gardner, then No. 26, had a game-best 26 points with 12 of 15 shots. 5 Virginia (5-0) scored a 72-45 decision over Maryland Eastern Shore (2-4) on November 25 at the John Paul Jones Arena.
• The Cavaliers have never been behind, leading 39-17 game time and scoring 40 points in the colour.
• Kadin Shedrick (13 points) was 4-of-4 from the field and 5-of-5 from the free-throw line in the win.
• Kihei Clark had a game high with eight assists.
• Zion Styles led UMES by 11 points.
At the horizon
• No. 3 Virginia opens ACC action against Florida State on Saturday, December 3rd. Tipoff at the John Paul Jones Arena is scheduled for 2:00 p.m